Sunday, January 21, 2018

What is this tool?

ANSWER: A chopper and meat tenderizer.
Thanks to Robin, for providing a link with a picture of the exact same model.
https://www.rubylane.com/item/738907-K230/Vintage-1911-M-H-Tyler-MFG

This is not a quiz - since I don't know the answer.

But does anyone out there have any idea about what this tool is?

I got the pictures from Olav who was asked by his cousin about it. So the pictures are courtesy of Olav and his cousin.

Based on the method of hanging the tools, I assume the pictures are from some sort of restaurant, or at least someone who doesn't mind being questioned by Saint Peter on the day of his judgement regarding why he/she thought that it was OK to mount a nice looking socket gouge with a Torx screw through the handle.

I don't know where the pictures were taken, if it is in Denmark or somewhere else.

Mystery tool.

Mystery tool with one blade inverted.

12 comments:

  1. Meat tenderizer for making chicken fried steak?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Ralph. I like me some chicken fried steak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it possible it's not a woodworking tool? I wondered if it was kitchen too. Specifically a meat tenderizer & cleaver. Probably sounds crazy but the square keyed version could be used as a tenderizer and the hatchet side for chopping equally poor cuts of meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mwh

      It seems as you are correct. (I now know the answer thanks to Robin providing a link for a picture of the same tool).
      I had at first considered it being some ind of marking axe for a forester, but I thought that it looked too delicate for that, plus the blade flipping didn't make any sense for that.
      Thanks for commenting.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  4. It's one of these:

    https://www.rubylane.com/item/738907-K230/Vintage-1911-M-H-Tyler-MFG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin

      Thanks a lot for the link!
      I am really impressed that you could find a link of the exact same model.
      I guess I was far off in guessing that it was a foresters axe, (not that I ever wrote it down)

      Again thanks for the answer and for commenting.

      Best regards
      Jonas

      Delete
  5. Jonas,

    Wish I could help but not a clue but I'm with you on the hanging method :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken
      Thanks for commenting.
      Robin knew the object to be a combined cleaver and meat tenderizer.
      I am glad the the two pictures doesn't show the entire wall. I would fear to see some other fine tools mutilated in the same way as that poor socket gouge.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  6. I really like your post good blog on site,Thanks for your sharing.

    หนังสารคดี

    ReplyDelete