Saturday, December 12, 2020

Making a coffin

Since my last post, my dad has been through a lot.


He was transferred from the nursing home to a hospital and back and forth a couple of times. Until at last the hospital admitted that they didn't know what was wrong with him, and had him transferred to a university hospital in Aarhus (Skejby hospital). He was assigned to the neurological department, and they were optimistic in the beginning that they would be able to sort it all out and get him back on his feet again. 

About three weeks ago, he slipped into a coma, and he was moved to the intensive care department. He was attached to a respirator, but he has stayed in a coma ever since. 
Last Monday my older brother had a meeting with the doctors, and my younger brother and I participated via a telephone. 
The doctors admitted that they didn't know what was wrong with my dad and that they were running out of ideas about what it could be. And while the clock was ticking away, the damage on his brain as they could assess via MR scans had worsened.

They said that they would give him a week more of treatment/trying to find out what is wrong with hi, and if no progress/luck, they would switch to palliative treatment. 

With that information I applied for a leave from my ship, and headed home to be with the family.
Due to the pandemic, my older brother is the only one who is allowed to visit my dad as long as he is in intensive care. If they move him into palliative care it should be possible for us all to come and visit him and say good bye.

In order to keep my thoughts at bay, I have started making a coffin.
I hope and pray that he won't be needing it for long, but I am beginning to feel less sure about it.
The coffin is made out of pine, and every time I cut or plane a board, the smell reminds me of when I was in the workshop with my father as a child.

I am not rushing the project in any way, and there is a great deal more sighing from my side during the process compared to whenever I normally make a project.

Take care y'all








10 comments:

  1. I'll be thinking happy thoughts in your difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Jonas, we will keep you and your family in our thoughts. Best wishes from your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was wondering about your dad lately. Sad to hear the news, will keep him and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

    Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonas,

    So sad to hear. Making his coffin is a wonderful way to remember and show your love.

    2020 has been a bitch,

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jonas,
    My father in law passed away a couple weeks ago. We knew it was coming due to his aneurisma. In the last coupe of years we became very close.
    He gave me his tools. So he still lives with us.
    So... yeah...
    The best I can do is to send you a virtual hug
    Take care, stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. All my best.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly hope this project is wasted time and effort. But if not, I can personally think of no better place to lay, than in something built by my child for me. Best wishes to your family and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete