Saturday, February 13, 2021

Moving on

 Right now I am nearing the end of a 10 day long Covid quarantine in a Norwegian hotel. Lots of time to think and contemplate over different things.

I have been looking at my blog a few times, and it has made me sad every single time because it reminds me of my dad.

So I have decided that I just need to start writing something, to make sure that the first post that will meet me isn't one that will make me sad.

Since my dads passing away, my older brother and I have started clearing out our childhood home, It is tough to do, but luckily we have tried and succeeded in making it a cozy thing by making sure that we get coffee or tea and something to eat whenever we are down there.

My parents both loved collecting antiques, so there are loads of stuff, and since it is mostly all really nice stuff, we can't just throw it away. We would like to give some of it to charity shops, but due to the pandemic, they are all closed, so that kind of sucks.

We have sold some of his tools, and that was actually easier for me than I had imagined. I guess mostly because my dad gravitated from using tools to collecting maybe 25 years ago, so since he didn't have a regular go-to set of tools it wasn't too hard selling some of them. We managed to find some youngsters who wanted to learn about woodworking, and we sold a bunch to them, actually cheap, but I know that my dad would have liked for the tools to go back into circulation again.

I still managed to do some woodworking at home, also related to the clearing out. I made 6 large glass door cabinets that will be used for storing nails and screws etc. They are hung on a large French cleat in the room where the metal lathe is. It is a project that I discussed with my dad before he died, and the glass doors are extra windows from the old windows at my parents house. (As usual I forgot to take any pictures of them).
They are made with adjustable shelves, and have a total height of 75", the width is 27.5" and the depth is 7.5", so there is a lot of storage in the 6 cabinets all put together. 
I didn't do any fancy joinery or anything with the cabinets, I decided that they were meant for storage and they were simply glued and screwed together and the wood was thickness in the planer, but I could live with a less than perfect surface. I intend to paint them white at some point, but it has to be when the temperature is not below freezing anyway.

My long term plan is to do a bit of clearing out in my shop as well, and throwing stuff out that I never use. Also I would like to use the shop as a workshop, and then I can use these cabinets for storing stuff instead of keeping it in the workshop. 

Having to clear out also prompted me to start doing the same in the barn, and I have already made a lot of progress, there's still a way to go, but at least I have started, and that is the main thing.

Mette riding Bent in the forest


2 comments: