Saturday, February 19, 2022

Gerstner inspired tool chest, completion

 I have been doing a bit of organizing and clearing out in the workshop, mostly still to accommodate lots of stuff from my dads shop. On one of the shelves in the shop I found the remnants of the Gerstner inspired tool chest that I started 8 years ago. I took a close look at it and decided that either I should throw it out, or I should invest the needed few hours and complete the project. 

After a bit of discussion with myself I decided that even if the project wasn't super good looking, it still deserved to be completed, and I could potentially use the tool chest for small stuff.

A couple of years ago I had made some stock ready for the fronts and sides of the drawers. I laid out some dovetails and started sawing and chopping away. I managed to mess up the design of the dovetails for the back of the drawers since I forgot to take into account that it should only be as high as down to the groove for the bottom. Nevertheless I decided that I could live with it and I proceeded.

When the drawers were complete I drilled a hole for mounting a small knob on the front. 
I then mortised in a lock on the fall front and made a small mortise for the lock to catch on in the carcase.

Then I assembled the tool chest with the self made fall front mechanism - only to discover that the knobs were a bit too long, so the fall front couldn't close. I took the easy and ugly route and gouged a small indent where each of the knobs touched the fall front. 

Finally I gave the drawers and the carcase some dark wipe on oil and let it dry for the night. It sits pretty on the shelf now, but I still haven't started to put stuff into it. 

I have to admit that the small tool chest doesn't look as elegant as I remembered. The wood wasn't perfect, and if I had to remake it again, I would probably reduce the thickness of the carcase, but as far as I remember, my main reason for starting the project back then was because I wanted to see if I could make a fall front mechanism out of wood.




The completed Gerstner inspired tool chest.

Drawers ready.

Getting ready to install a lock.

Oil on the drawers.

Messed up the length of the knobs..

Fall front almost closed.

Closed and locked.


16 comments:

  1. Fine little drawer cabinet, I'd be happy to have one like it. Plus it's a good feeling to finish something that's been collecting dust for months or years. Just 2 days ago, I finally finished a moulding plane that I started over 5 years ago.
    How is the bottom of the fall front held in place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,
      This link shows the fall front mechanism as I made it: https://mulesaw.blogspot.com/2014/12/gerstner-inspired-tool-chest-fall-front.html
      It is basically a small square strip of wood that rests in a groove in the bottom of the fall front. and the ends of the strip have been rounded.

      On the first link in the post there is a picture of the grooves in the carcase. The thin groove is for the fall front. And it ends in a small 90 degree dip near the front. I think you can only see that dip in the picture of the assembled carcase.

      Good to hear that you completed a moulding plane :-) It is nice to once in a while complete some of those old projects.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. How did you install the fall front? From the back or during the dovetail glue up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ralph

      It is installed at the very end of the build.
      https://mulesaw.blogspot.com/2014/12/gerstner-inspired-tool-chest-fall-front.html
      I made a system so that you can remove the fall front again if you should need to do so. The design lets you complete the carcase completely, and then you insert the little stick that is the "hinge", and then screw the stick back into the groove in the bottom of the fall front.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks António
      I thought it looked better when I started it 8 years ago, the carcase is a bit on the heavy side, but then again, so am I now compared to 8 years ago :-)
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finishing the project. I hate half finished projects as they eat at me. Looks good by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I know what you mean by half finished projects. They occupy more space physical and psychological than they technically are entitled to.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  5. It looks like a fun project, and it turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian.
      It was more fun back when I started it. At that time the challenge was if I could make a fall front system without buying any hardware. I guess I sort of lost interest after I found out how to do it.
      But I think I'll eventually get some use from it now.
      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete
  6. Looks good and finished an incomplete project, that's a double win!, Now you can start at least 3 more projects you don't have to finish if my math checks out. I recently came across a similar group of parts, though I decided to just stash the parts elsewhere... I'm sure I'll get to them sometime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy.
      That is exactly how I am thinking, the problem is that I am afraid that I have already started those extra new projects :-)

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  7. Lovely box. No shame in having unfinished projects around, I think it is an important part of the creative process to loose interest in projects and move on. But also good to sort throug good and bad, toss the bad ones and finish the good ones once in a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ty

      Good to hear from you :-)
      I have considered making a leather workshop in the old greenhouse in the garden, so this little tool chest will probably end up down there with small bits and pieces of leather tools in it.
      This particular project only needed a little bit of work to complete it, so I couldn't make myself throw it away. I think I will grow to like it once I start using it.
      Brgds¨
      Jonas

      Delete
  8. A garden leather workshop sounds lovely extravagant and luxorious, way cooler than swimming pool, tennis court etc that other people may have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. y

      I never thought about it that way, but I guess it will be kind of extravagant :-)
      the plan is to make a nice wooden floor and build walls with insulation etc. But I'll probably keep the gables covered in glass to give a good amount of natural light.

      When I built the greenhouse 20 years ago I over-dimensioned the rafters and placed them ridiculously close so that I could just let the glass rest between them. That is my luck now, since I I can make a roof using the old clay tiles from the house.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete