Saturday, January 25, 2014

Shop stool part 1

The design of my shop stool is a Windsor shop stool lke the one that Michael Dunbar once wrote about in Popular Woodworking.

I haven't decided on the design of the legs yet, but I think they will be a more simple design than the double bobbin that was shown in the article. 

First I looked for a suitable piece of wood for the seat. In spite of all the wood that I have lying around, I couldn't find a suitable piece. Therefore I ended up using a chain saw to rip a piece of half a trunk of elm that I had in the barn. The piece measured approximately 16 x 16 x 4". 
The back side was flattened using a scrub plane, and then I leveled it out with a smoothing plane. 

My normal wood lathe has got a maximum capacity of around 12", so I decided to use my old metal lathe that has got a significantly larger capacity. 
I mounted the blank on a face plate designed for the woos lathe, and clamped it in the 3 jaw chuck of the metal lathe.
At first I used the automatic feed for redusing the thickness down to approx. 2.5". I then turned the depression in the seat manually still using the metal working bit. Next the outside was turned. 
A metal working bit doesn't leave a particularly nice surface, and I also needed to turn a small bevel like thing on the lower side of the seat, so I had to device a way to make a normal tool rest.
I was able to mount a long clamp in the tool holder, and then I could use the bar of the clamp as a tool rest. That enabled me to finish the turning using normal wood turning tools.

I need to get some supper, and then the build will continue.

Happy SSBO day to everyone out there.

The blank and the chain saw. 
Ready for traversing with the scrub plane

Flat enough for the next step.

Close up of the cutting action on the lathe.

My trusty old MAS SN 20 metal lathe.

The finished seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment