We had a period today of fairly calm movements of the ship, so I decided that it was time to attempt a glue up.
But before I could get to that part,I had to cut the back panel to the correct size, and then I needed to plane a rabbet along all the four sides, so I had a protruding tongue on one side.
This task was completed pretty fast. The No 248 grooving plane is a great tool for this job. The thickness of the back panel was the double of the iron, so using the same setting as I had for the groove on the sides and ends of the carcase, I was able to make a perfect fit in no time.
I then gathered all the parts on my work table, and found a soaked rag for cleaning up the glue squeeze out, and four clamps. I found my glue and my glue brush, and put a piece of plywood on the table, so I had a wooden surface where I could do the glue up.
Before this glue up, I felt like I was going to an oral exam. Like most people know, a glue up has to be done in a reasonable time, the more complex the glue up, the less time you have for each individual spot.
I have managed to make a rather complex design. For the glue up I needed to fit 15 individual parts before being able to attach the clamps and square things up.
This was the cause of the exam feeling. I knew I had to get it done in 10- 15 minutes if I didn't want the piece to be ruined.
I started on the wrong foot by inverting the two end boards, they didn't fit as well as I remembered from the dry assembly, so I looked at my carpenters triangles, and found out I had switched the top and bottom.. Thsi was disassembled and I wiped the glue of the pins. I was afraid it was a bad omen, and was a bit reluctant to get started again.
Once again, I lined up everything, and this time I did it right. The small bits slowly but surely came together, and at last I could attach the clamps and give the carcase a little squeeze to square it up.
I am at bit anxious to see how well it will look once the outside has been planed. There are some dents etc. but given the source of wood that isn't so strange. I just hope I can conceal most of the marks.
The glued up carcase.