Saturday, September 27, 2014

Stanley Bedrock 604

For my birthday this year, my dad gave me an old Stanley Bedrock No 604 that he had picked up at a thrift shop for about 10$.
It is highly unusual to find a Bedrock in Denmark, so I was very pleased with the news of him finding it, and actually I asked myself if he had any birthday gifts for me, because if not I would like the plane.
He and my mother did have somehing else for me too, but he was glad to give the plane to me, so I could fix it up.

The rear tote was broken, and the nut for the front knob is needs to be replaced, apart from that it is in OK condition given the age of it.

I brought it with me to the ship this time, because a plane restoration is a nice little job to do while at sea.

I started out by dating the plane by means of the Internet. I merely googled "Stanley Bedrock plane dating" and some suggestions came up that could provide the answer.
As far as I was able to conclude, it is a type 6 which was manufactured between 1912 - 1921.

My fingers itched so much for starting to fix the plane up, that I forgot to take some "before" pictures.
But what I did was to wash the parts in some soap water and then I cleaned them with "Metalbrite" which is a phosphorous acid based rust removing chemical often used onboard ships.
The japanning is not perfect, but it doesn't have to be, the plane is old so it shouldn't necessarily look brand new.

After cleaning the parts I have lapped the bottom of the frog to the bed using some valve lapping paste. It didn't need much work before I was satisfied. The bottom and the sides of the bed was cleaned up using some sandpaper on a flat surface, these too didn't need much work.

The rear tote which was broken had been glued before. I decided to flatten the broken parts completely and try to glue it up again. So far it looks good.
On the upper part of the tote, a chip has come off. I haven't got any rosewood out here to use for patching, but I think I have a piece of oak lying somewhere that can be used for making a small repair.
I have considered using spruce for the patch instead, because that way it will clearly stand out that the handle was repaired.
What do you suggest? Oak (if I can find it) or spruce for the repair job?

The glued up rear tote.

Oak or spruce / pine for the patch?


6 comments:

  1. I would use whatever will last the longest and wear the best - to me that sounds like oak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oak. It's harder and will stand out just as much as the pine. When you get home you can inpaint it with dyes and pigmented shellac to blend in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it if oak will stand out, I just think the colours look pretty much alike when I sand the tote. I plan on giving it a new coat of varnish afterwards.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. I don't know. I like the idea of patching it so that it shows its scars. Almost 100yrs old, rough around the edges but still ready to work.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg.
      Your comment is exactly how I feel about it.
      Brgds Jonas

      Delete