Sunday, May 6, 2018

A Barnsley hayrake table 4, final assembly.

The breadboard ends were sawed flush to the side of the tabletop, and the top was then flipped over so I could smooth the underside first.
Planing such a large glued up top of larch was something I attempted last time I build the table, and the results were not good at all. So this time I decided to start with what I knew would work: A portable belt sander and some 40 grit bands.

Once the underside was smooth and flat, I sanded the sides and ends and chamfered all the edges on that side with my small Japanese chamfer plane. I flipped the top over again, and the I made some buttons out of elm to attach the table top to the base with.

The tabletop was then mounted in the correct position, and I sanded the top side with grit 40, 60 and finally 80.
The edges on this side were chamfered too, and that as they say - was that.

I tried taking some glamour shots of the completed table, but my photographic skills are as you know not the best. Furthermore the table is so large that it is difficult for me to get a proper distance for taking good pictures without any disturbing things in the picture.

I have logged all the time that I have used on the table, and I was a bit surprised, that it took me longer to build than the first hayrake table a couple of years back. I think that the difference is that I made breadboard ends on this one, and also the classic way to attach the upper cross stretcher.
The time totaled at 49 hours and 10 minutes, efficient work time that is. If I had to go see why Bertha was barking, or to get a cup of tea, the clock was stopped.

Personally I think that this table looks a lot better than the first one, especially since the size of the top fits better to the base. And I also really like the look of the breadboard ends.

While it isn't of great importance how long time it takes to build something, I like to monitor it due to my own bad memory.
In case someone sees the table and thinks that it looks nice, and asks me if I could make one more, then I would like to remember just exactly how long time it took me, so I don't accidentally say that oh, I can make one of those in a long weekend in the shop.

Barnsley hayrake table, 10' x 4'

Longitudinal stretcher to crosspiece in hayrake.

Crosspiece to arms of hayrake.

Hayrake to legs.

Japanese edge nicer (chamfer plane)

2018 (plus sack of garbage behind stretcher)

Breadboard end.


  1. Jonas,

    Good work. Now the hard part, moving that sucker to its home ;-).


    1. Hi Ken.

      Yup, that will be quite a task.
      Also the finishing of the table will be left to my friend. I think that I will suggest some sort of treatment with a blend of linseed oil and tung oil, but it will be up to him, do decide.
      The good thing is that the table top can be removed, so getting it through the door shouldn't bee impossible.
      But it will still require two determined souls to maneuver it due to the weight.

      By the way, I still haven't bought that Zündapp Bella, but I am still considering doing it.


  2. Replies
    1. Hi Bill

      Thanks a lot for the nice comment.
      I especially like the "as usual" part :-)


  3. Your joinery is superb. I love seeing tenons like that.

    1. Hi Brian

      The tenons did turn out pretty fine.
      And given their size and surface area for glue adhesion, I have a feeling that they will stay put.