Thursday, August 23, 2018

Mini Max Hydroplane 1, assembling the hull.

When I got home I was determined to start building a couple of Mini Max's
I never expected the biggest obstacle to be that the lumberyard had run out of 1/4" plywood. Somehow it took them 3 days to get hold of something so I could carry on with the build.

I also had to call the company where I had ordered some epoxy and glass fiber cloth, because that package hadn't shown up either. And I ordered that a week prior to going home.
I got a less than enthusiastic person on the phone, and as soon as I had explained my reason for contacting them he replied: Oh yes, I know about that package, we have thought about contacting you for some time, because the one item you ordered is out of stock (3" wide fiberglass tape). I had to struggle to stay diplomatic, but we ended up finding a solution to some wider tape and some large square mats instead.
But why for Heavens sake does it have to be that hard to get a little bit of service . I mean they could have mailed me as soon as they got my order explaining that despite the web shop showing the item it was out of stock and they could suggest this or than instead.

A bit of searching in the piles of lumber at home brought forth enough 8" wide larch to build two boats with, and also some narrower stock that I used to make some strips as the plans called for.

Both the boys were really exited about the build and they were able to participate a lot due to a low weight of the individual pieces, and the ease of construction.

The first boat I tried to make exactly according to the plans. But after a little time it became apparent that the plans are not 100% correct.
The two stringers for instance that will form the sides of the cockpit were too tall, but none of this was a real deal breaker. It was more an eye opener to me, that I couldn't make x number of pieces and then assemble it like it was a jigsaw puzzle.


The most difficult thing about the build was indeed the closing of the slit on the lower part of the hull.
I had seen and read various fine solutions on how to overcome this task - so off course I had to invent my own way of doing it. Please see the final pictures for a short guide on how I did it.

I clamped a batten on each underside of the slit, using two clamps for each batten.
With the battens securely in place, I used a clamp on the battens to squeeze the two sides together. It worked just as I had imagined.
The hardest thing is to make sure that the battens don't shift while squeezing them together. This is why each of them has to be secured with two clamps, and off course a piece of wood on the top side to protect the plywood from being marred by a heavy pressure from a clamp.

I made sure to place them a little distance from the slit, so that once it had closed up, I could put screws into the "fore strut".

Asger showing the boat with the top temporarily in place.

Gustav sawing out a paddle, Thomas (friend) watching.

Asger mounting the transom.

Planing a bit of the fore cross piece.


Asger stepping off distances with a divider.

1) Clamp on the fore cross piece

2) Clamp on a batten on each side of the slit (underside)

3) Each batten is held in place by two clamps.

4) Force the battens together using a clamp.

4 comments:

  1. Cool! It looks like your solution was simple and worked great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian

      It really worked like a charm. It helped a lot that the weather was nice too though.
      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. Great progress, i was wondering what was happening with that built :-)
    I dont think i ever ran accross some build article, woodworking or hobby electronics that did not have some omissions or errors in it. I am therefore used to winging it...

    Bob and Rudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob

      Thanks.
      The build actually had a lot of momentum, but I stuck to my habit of not blogging a single time while at home (I need to make a New Years resolution to do something about that).
      I guess I figured that it was a bit like building a cabinet, that if you make all the parts to size, there will only be a minimum of trimming, but not on these plans. Or at least a bit more trimming had to be done.

      I also had to go swimming with Bertha :-)

      Best regards to you and Rudy
      Jonas

      Delete