Saturday, August 25, 2018

Simpson tenon saw 1, the saw plate and spine.

Last time out here at sea, I ended up swaying back and forth between making an infill moulding plane, or a tenon saw. I finally decided that a saw was the way to go, and i started looking into finding some steel for the saw plate.
This time I wanted to make a tenon saw, so I couldn't just buy a plaster scraper as I did last time I made a saw - I needed something bigger.

Luckily I know Pedder from Two Lawyers tools, and I wrote and asked him about his ideas for using steel shims for saw plates.
He looked at the specifications and found that it was rather soft, and immediately offered to make me a saw plate and stamp some teeth in it at the same time.

When the package arrived, there wasn't just the saw plate, but also a very nice old large tenon saw in there as well.

I figured that rehabbing an old saw would be a fine way of getting some experience before making a tenon saw from scratch. So I brought both this tenon saw and the saw plate with me on board.

The first thing I did was to remove the handle. The brass screws and nuts loosened easily, and the handle came off in no time.
Removing the spine was a lot more difficult. It pinched the saw plate pretty hard, and at the same time there was a bit of rust to help bind those two together.

With the steel parts separated, I got a bit of metal brightener from the guys on deck and washed the parts in that. I think it is some sort of phosphoric acid mixed with soap. It seemed to work pretty well.
After the metal brightening, I sprayed the parts with some thin oil and sanded them with emery cloth. I didn't go all wild since there are some pitting that I can't remove. I also don't mind that the saw will still show signs of being old - as long as it will work.

I tried to do a bit of searching about the saw maker, but searching for anything containing the name "Simpson" will generate a bunch of hits with a yellow faced cartoon figure that likes to drink beer. So I gave up on that quest after a few tries.
Mostly I would like to know the approximate age of the saw, and one of the few non cartoon hits I had suggested something like the early 20th century.
If anyone else knows something about the Simpson saw making business, I would be happy if you left a comment.

My plan is to make a new handle for the saw, since the old one has got some worm holes and also some damage to the horns.
I brought some stock with me for that purpose, two pieces of elm and one piece of whitebeam (Sorbus Intermedia). I thik that I'll go for elm as material but in case that doesn't work, I'll still have a possibility of making one out of the whitebeam.
The handle will be a direct copy of the old one.


Handle of old tenon saw. 

Removing saw nuts.

A bit of rust damage, but still usable.

Cleaned and oiled saw plate and spine.

SIMPSON
GERMAN STEEL

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jonas,

    A funny story fworwards. I bought this saw in 2012 or so on sjaelland. Cleaned it a bit but the toothline was to wavy to resharpen her. SO she set in the shelf until you asked me for a big saw blade. I thought I shoud send you a saw for workung until your own is ready. And now she on a ship the get shiny and a new handle. Cool.

    When I started rehabbing old saws, I did the same. Ripping off every part and make it shiny. A bunch of destroyed spine tought me to let my hands of that connection, if it works.

    The pitting was the reason to left the blade black, looks more homogenous to me.

    Did you test cut the saw? I thought it sawed really well, when I send it of.


    Cheers
    Pedder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pedder

      I did test the saw a bit, and I agree that it cut really well. Undoubtedly helped a lot by the heavy spine.

      I tried really hard to stay away from the teeth when I did the light sanding of the blade, because I know that I am not that good at sharpening, so It would be better to not mess up something there.

      I like you idea about leaving the blade black, but since I had already taken the spine off, I thought that it might as well try to see what this metal brightener chemical could do.

      And I really need some experience in saw making before attempting to assemble something with the nice new blade :-)

      Again, thanks a lot for the very nice gift.

      Best regards
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. It was 2012. Here is the pot with the saw as I found her: https://pedder-altedamenauskiel.blogspot.com/search?q=sealand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can see that it was in a really rusted shape when you got it!
      You must have spent quite some time cleaning that up.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. I really like the look of the Simpson saw's handle. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the handle too.
      It is strange but when I took it off, I could suddenly see that it was far from perfect.

      The top and bottom are both slanting a bit to one side, just as something would if the table of the bandsaw was not 100% square to the blade.
      But it is only noticeable if you look fairly close.
      I find it interesting since normally there is a perception that 100 years ago all tools were better made. But this handle has some flaws in that respect.
      Not that it matters, because it is still a beautiful handle.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  4. Cool saw! It looks as if there are some extra he's in the saw plate for the handle. I wonder if you aren't the first person to re-handle it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian
      It is a really cool saw. It feels very heavy too due to the length and the fat spine.
      I am afraid that those extra holes are genuine rust holes.
      The position of those holes make it unlikely that they were put there to hold the plate in position as far as I see it.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete