Friday, August 24, 2018

Mini Max hydroplane 2, completing the boat.

After assembling the hull, I had to work with epoxy and fiber glass for the first time in my life in connection with wood.
Technically I got to think of that I have used some before back when I was an apprentice on a reefer ship. It was used to make a temporary repair of a leaking pipe.

First I rounded the edge a bit, and then mixed the epoxy, applied some and put on the glass fiber. It looked really fine for half a minute or so, then the glass fiber mat started to creep up and loosen from the rounded corner.
I added more epoxy and brushed it down again, but to no success.
After a while I concluded that I should have rounded the corner a lot more. So I stopped for the day.
The next day after the epoxy had hardened, I used one of my large rasps (a farriers rasp/file) and made a much larger rounding on all the corners of the hull. I ended up making a rounding with a radius of approximately 3/8". For information, I am using a slow setting epoxy to give me a bit more working time when applying the stuff.

This time the fiber glass stayed in place and it looked good.

After another day, the epoxy had hardened, and I sanded the edges of the mats and also sanded the surface of the hull.

Asger and I helped each other priming the boat. The primer dried quickly, and the next step was to paint the bottom.
We used a real marine primer, but for the top coat I opted for the classic boat color: New Holland agricultural machinery rim white. Conveniently available at our local tractor dealer just up the road.

When the bottom had dried some, we helped each other flipping the boat around, and I painted the top with the white paint. I painted inside the cockpit, and the corners of the hull plus the center stripe.
More waiting time, (I am not that patient when it comes to painting). And it was time to apply the green color.
The first boat was going to be Gustav's boat, and since he had gone to Mette's uncles place to help in the harvest, I had decided the paint scheme. The green was again an agricultural paint (Krone hay and forage equipment) because that is also a product they carry at the local tractor dealer.

Suddenly the boat was completed, and more so, it looked just as I had imagined.

Part of the reason it was to become Gustav's boat was because he had once been given a small 4 hp outboard motor from his uncle, so we had made the motor mounting board a bit longer than described in the plans - to accommodate the long leg of that motor.
Asger also thought that it was a smart move to get the second boat, because that would hopefully mean that all the messing up had been sorted out on the first of the series.

Late that evening, we tested if the paint had dried, - and it had.
It was completely calm without a wind, so Asger and I immediately decided to take the boat for a test.
He found a wet suit, and I mounted the handles at the transom and on the fwd part of the hull, to facilitate moving the boat.

After a slow initial run, I discovered that the throttle could be pressed further to the side, and suddenly the boat was planing, just as it was supposed to do.

All in all a very successful project.
Now we are on the look out for a reasonably priced outboard with 10-15 hp. But given the much nicer weather than normal, all outboard engines have risen considerably in price. But maybe we will get lucky during the winter time.

Ready for the first test of the boat (motor not yet mounted)

Asger mounting the upper part of the hull.

Farriers rasp for rounding corners prior to epoxy and fiber glass.

My younger brother Jens visiting from Japan (being put to work)

Sanding and dusting off at the same time.

Asger priming, cousin Kai and Jens admiring the work.

Boat primed.

Ready to fly.

60'ies inspired paint scheme.


10 comments:

  1. Jonas,

    Asger is smart, never buy the first year's production of a new model car or almost anything else. The boat looks great, with two of them it should be a blast.

    I like the paint.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken.

      Thanks for the nice comment. I think the paint job came out pretty fine too.

      So far there hasn't been any problems with boat No 1, except for the motor.
      That one was a gift to Gustav from the kids' uncle. They couldn't get it to run, and Gustav took it to engine repair class and got it running. But the cooling isn't working properly and the gear is also not good. But we managed to get a couple of good runs with it still.

      We are on the look out for a couple of engines in the 10-15 hp range, but I don't want to pay too much for them, so I guess that the winter will be a better time for making such a purchase.

      Delete
  2. Wow! It looks amazing. I love the color scheme. Tractor paint was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian.

      Thanks for the nice comment.
      Somehow just using two colors seems a classic way of decorating a speed boat.

      And I like the idea to use paint that I can get locally :-)

      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. Looks awesome Jonas! And I particularly like that you immediately put your brother to work :) that's what big brothers are supposed to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a GREAT comment Bill :-)

      Actually he thought it was pretty fun to help out on the project. I was a bit sad that we weren't far enough in the process to test out the boat at that point, but his kids still had a couple of memorable days at our place.

      They truly enjoy riding a lawn tractor and the small ATV etc. so I am the funny cool uncle in their world :-)

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  4. Great project and the colors definitely fit the product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy

      Thanks for the nice comment.
      Once in a while I am amazed at how much effect it can have to just use two colors with a bit of contrast.
      Now we just need a bigger engine, so the speed of the boat will match the look and the paint scheme :-)

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete