Wednesday, September 15, 2021

New gable on the barn completed

After a long period with fantastic weather, I decided that I'd better pull my act together and complete the gable before I would have to do it in rain and wind. 
I am not sure why I didn't really feel so excited about this job since normally I like to do carpentry jobs such as this one. 

Nevertheless I got the last boards installed, and managed to make a decent closure of the upper part of the gable too. That one had to be a bit different due to some of the original framing of the barn extending farther out than the rest. 

I applied some zinc drip edges on top of the doors and on top of the lower part of the opening for the sawmill, to prevent water from entering the end grain of the wood.

Since the boards were planed and not just rough sawn as they would have been if I had milled them myself, I found some oil based paint in the standard Swedish red colour. Painting didn't take much time, and it all suddenly looked a whole lot better. I have to admit that it could use a second coat, but I can do that some other time.

I still need to install some plywood on the inside, as Gustav and I had decided when we started the project. The idea is that we can each paint our logo on the plywood, and that should hopefully look good.


Completed gable at the North end of the barn


4 comments:

  1. That looks much better. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian

      It really needed to be done too.
      Now I just need to order a new load of logs and get into gear so I can mill some wood.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. Looks good Jonas! Glad to see that you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill

      It took a while for me to get back into doing a bit of blogging, but it sure feels nice to be back and doing stuff again :-)

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete