Thursday, September 2, 2021

Stitching horse

I have started doing a bit more leatherwork lately, and once in a while it would be nice to have some decent work holding for hand sewing.
Some years ago I made a clamp that you could hold between your legs, and while it worked, I never really liked to use it. 

So to get back into the woodworking mode and actually start using my tools and my shop again after a long period of essentially not doing any woodwork, I have started making a stitching horse. I found a plan for a really nice traditionally looking stitching horse in a pdf file of a book called "Farm woodwork". There are a bunch of nice projects in the book, some more useful than others, but an interesting little book nevertheless.

Gustav has been practising milling with the mulesaw, and he milled an old beech trunk, that I had left on the saw almost two years ago, and never gotten around to milling. Beech if not milled will very quickly develop black streaks inside a trunk. I don't mind it since it ads a bit of visual interest to an otherwise fairly boring looking wood (in my opinion). Anyway, one of those boards that were milled wasn't even in thickness along its length, and I decided to use it to make the seat of the stitching horse. 
I marked up the wood according to the plans, and sawed the curvaceous shape out on the bandsaw. A slanting mortise was chopped and I drilled 4 holes for the legs. 

The legs were made from some ash that I had milled several years ago and never found a use for. I'll turn a round tenon on the ends of the legs that will go through the seat. But this was about as far as I got today.

Double pear shape

Seat and legs + stretchers


3 comments:

  1. I have that book! The stitching horse build has been on the back burner for a long, long time. I like the idea of those stitching clams, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xoney
      I sadly only have it as a pdf file, but I like the thoroughness of those old how-to books.
      You can see how mine turns out and then you can decide if the stitching horse should stay on the back burner or be moved forward in the queue. :-)
      I have chosen to make the undercarriage a bit more complicated than in the instructions. So I am going for through tenons instead of just screwing it together. It does give a bit more work, but I'm not in a hurry anyway :-)
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. Hi George
    Thanks for commenting. I am pretty exited myself, I hope that it will look like it should when complete :-)
    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete