The glass was mounted using glaziers putty and metal wire. The putty is a traditional type consisting of chalk and linseed oil. Theoretically you can mix your own, but I have bought mine.
Before applying the putty, I normally wipe over the rabbet with a little linseed oil, as it will help the putty to stick to the wood.
The putty is applied in the shape of a small sausage, all around the bottom of the rabbet. The glass is then pressed into the putty. I like to secure the glass using some small pieces of metal wire. they will later be covered with the outer layer of putty. But they help to keep the glass in place until the putty is hardened.
Small nails or brads could also be used, but I like to use a piece of welding wire from a MIG/MAG welding machine. This wire is fairly stiff, and has got an appropriate thickness. (1 mm in diameter).
I press the wire into the wood using some side cutters, and once the wire is in place I cut it approximately 1/8" from the side of the rabbet.
The outer layer of putty can then be applied using a putty knife.
Since we have started changing the roof on the house, I have had to park the window project for a couple of days. I have spent my time installing the scaffolding, and I am rather pleased with the result.
Today I managed to make the final installation. I have to admit that I am not very good at doing bricklayers work. but since it is for the machinery shed, it will be OK.
The window sill is still damp in the photo. Once it is dry the plan is to give it some white wash to make it blend in with the rest.
The outside of the wall looks a little funny since I have started repairing the grouts . I have not yet cleaned of the wall using hydrochloric acid. That ought to remove the excess lime from the surface of the bricks.
The arch shaped strip glued and nailed in place.
Mounting the glass using glaziers putty and metal wire.
The new window sill.
The window from the outside.
The scaffolding on the house. (the children suddenly erected a tent).