Sunday, January 26, 2014

Using the Roubo horse based stain.

I figured that the new shop stool would be a perfect project for the Roubo horse based stain.

The stain was applied using a brush, and the wood absorbed it rather quickly. As a matter of fact, part of the legs and the stretcers dried while I went to the house to get the camera. Tomorrow I will give it a second and perhaps a third coat.


  1. Neat! Do you think Sherwin Williams would sell a color of paint called "horse poop red?"

    The stool looks great. You and Asger did a superb job.

    1. I guess I have to work a little on finding a marketing name for the stain. Perhaps: Old French red would be a better sales parameter than what you suggest :-)

  2. Perhaps "L'espirit de Equestrian" (I speak no french, my apologies)
    Really looks like it had quite an impact on the seat. This is do to different wood reactions or different application?
    Great job on your build, looks like a good sturdy stool. The SSBO sure was a fun idea.

    1. I think the look on the seat is because the wood is a lot more wet than the legs.
      The legs and stretchers were sawed in 2007 or 2008. The seat was sawed 16:00 on the 25th of January 2014. The log was from a tree that I cut down in the summer of 2013. So I knew it would be kind of wet.
      Today it got the second coat and it has a more uniform colour now. I plan to let it dry a little more, and then perhaps finish it with some wax.

      I think the French name would probably be a good sales point, it would also mean that some people would be too embarresed to ask of the meaning and thereby reveal that they don't speak French. (By the way, I don't speak french as well).

      Thanks for the nice comment on the build. and I agree that the SSBO was a great idea.