I was so lucky that there was an auction close to the ski centre, so I only skied one day, and the next day I went to see if there was any interesting things up for sale.
I ended up with a total of approximately 8000 nails, some braces, a set of dividers, 3 very old braces some hammers and 2 hand planes, a Hellstedt No 5 and an Anchor No 3.
Both planes were in a pretty good state, but none the less, I decided to bring the No 3 with me on board for a little make over.
The totes are made out of beech, and they were originally varnished with a thick coat. This coat has cracked and has started to come off in various places making them rather uncomfortable to grip. I am sure I would get a blister in two minutes time by using it.
The sole needs to be straightened and the frog needs a cleaning for some rust. In addition to that I am considering to modify the lever on the lever cap. When closing the lever the corner sticks out too far, so it is basically necessary to re tighten the lever cap screw after mounting the lever cap.
The washers for the frog screws maybe need to be a little smaller, since the mouth can't be set to a really tight opening due to that the washers limit the movement of the frog.
By the way, the nails were: 1 box of 6000 pcs. of 60 mm galvanised nails.
1 box of 1200 pcs of 5" galvanised nails.
Roughly 1000 pcs of 4" nails (not galvanised).
Anchor No 3 hand plane
Front tote showing cracked varnish
More cracked varnish