With the basic chest completed, I have started making the handles for it.
As per popular demand from the readers of this blog, I am trying to go the traditional route and installing cleats and beckets.
I won't be able to finish those while on board, since we don't have any leather. The leather is required for the axle.
I am making my beckets approximately half the size since the chest is also smaller than a normal sea chest, roughly half the size. So my guess is that it will end up looking OK.
Becket making wasn't being taught at the basic seaman school I attended (Kogtved Søfartsskole).
So I trawled the Internet and found this page which is an absolute treasure trove concerning rope art.
There is a tutorial on making beckets + loads of other stuff.
It is recommended that the beckets are like, so I made a small device for starting my beckets. That way I can start both of them at the same time, and they will be equal in length. The core material is tarred marline, and it smells a lot!
The lighter brown material is hemp twine.
I hope the smell of the tar will disappear over time, if not I'll have to keep the chest in the barn.
As can be seen on the lower picture, I have made a test becket to try some of the techinques required. You can also see the two cleats that will be attached to the chest once I get home and have access to some longer brass screws again.
Making two beckets at the same time
My test becket and the two cleats.