Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sandvik No 761, Tenon saw / Zapfsäge

In the tool chest that I got for Christmas, there was also a backsaw. At first I guesses that it was a dovetail saw, but after a little bit of investigation, I found out that it was actually a tenon saw.

The handle had lost most of its original lacquer, the blade was loose in the handle, but the steel itself looked fine.

The handle is originally attached to the blade by means of some large rivets. Technically I could just have smacked them with a hammer and have fixed the blade a bit better, but I wanted to remove the blade completely and than I would make a different system.

To remove the rivets, I drilled a hole down the the centre of them, and progressively increasing the size of the drill until the shaft of the rivet broke.

I sanded the handle lightly and added some oil to it. I used a mixture of tung oil and orange oil that I had left from a previous project. The oil was added using a Scotch brite pad and wiped off after a little while.

The saw blade was cleaned using some fine sandpaper and some emery cloth. I didn't want to ruin the etching on the side, so I didn't go all wild with the job of shining the blade up.

The set of the teeth was fine, and the saw blade was straight, so I just filed the teeth. 2 light strokes per tooth was all it took to make it nice and sharp. I went for a rip tooth, but with a small angle, so technically I suppose it is a cross cut. I guess the angle is around 80 degrees.
The toothing is 10 PPI, which is a bit coarser than my Flinn Garlick tenon saw (13 TPI), but I think it will be fine for softwood.

For attaching the handle, I made some saw nuts out of brass on my metal lathe. I designed them so that the shaft of the nut would fit perfectly in the elongated slots of the blade. That way the blade wouldn't just be held in place by the pressure of the handle.
For screws I opted for using some 5 mm carriage bolts. They have a 13 mm head that looks a bit like the head of the original rivets.

After assembling the saw, I tested it on a piece of larch, and it makes a nice cut.  All that is left is to come up with a project where I can use the saw.


Die kleine Säge in die Werkzeugkiste war nicht ein Zinksäge sondern ein Zapfsäge.
Ich habe der Handgriff geschliffen und leicht einölt. Ich habe ein Mischung von Tungöl und Orangenöl verwendet.

Das Sägeblatt war leicht mit Schleifpapier gereinigt.

Am Drehbank habe ich zwei neue Muttern aus Messing gemacht.

Die Zahnung ist 10 TPI (ist das ZPZ = Zähne pro Zoll in Deutsch?).


Disassembled tenon saw.

Handle before sanding.

Sawblade, back, rivets (drilled out), handle.

Etching on the sawblade
 
Sandvik No 761 Tenon saw
 
Sandvik No 761 Tenon saw


8 comments:

  1. Nice rehab.

    I also like the term, "ZPZ."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.
    I wasn't sure if that term is what they use in Germany :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one should have guessed, Germany is metric.
    On the German version of the web sites of EC Emmerich, Dictum or Dieter Schmid, they either use the German system (tooth width/spacing in mm) or on Dieter Schmid for Veritas saws, just use TPI like this :
    "Zahnteilung 15 TPI (1,7 mm)". No translation.
    I don't like the American system where things are smaller when the number is higher (gauge system). For me it is counter intuitive.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvain.
      I never even thought of checking Dictum or some of the other sites. I just guessed that if they used the ppi/tpi system it would be translated.

      I can see your point in that it might be more straight forward to use the actual size as nomination. I have never used that system, so to me 18 ppi makes perfectly sense. But I am pretty sure that if you ask someone who are not familiar with that system they will get it wrong.

      I have the same feeling with the American size of nails. Why on earth should a no 18 nail be smaller than a no 12?

      It is funny how there is always something that seems strange in the way other countries and people do things.

      The most common complaint about strange things in Denmark is our way of counting.
      Most countries I know the system is based on 10, all the way up to a hundred. E.g. fifty = five x ten = 50, or Fünfzig in German.

      The Danish system uses 10 up to the count of 49. From that point on it changes and uses the old system of 20 :-)
      Now that is something that can be hard to see the logis in. Furthermore some very old counting words are used.
      In Danish 50 = halvtreds = halv tredie x 20 (half third x 20) = 3 - 0.5 x 20.
      60 is 3 x 20
      70 is 4 - 0.5 x 20 etc.

      To me that system makes perfectly sense, but I know from other Scandinavian colleagues that they think it is rather strange.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  4. There is a great satisfaction in bringing tools back to being useful. I don't see many Sandvik tools here in Canada. I have a Cross Cut and a set of Chisels with black poly handles that I got from my father. I am very envious of your box of tools

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John

      You are absolutely right about the feeling of bringing a tool back to being useful. It is a nice sense of having done something right.
      I would say that Sandvik is best known for their saws over here. They bought Bahco at some point, so for a period the tools were named Sandvik Bahco as far as I know. I think that they have now sold Bahco off to Snap On tools, but I am not sure though.
      There were some very nice panel saws in the chest as well, I haven't looked much at them yet though.
      I think the previous owner was pretty good at sharpening saws which is interesting, since most saws have been hardened single use models since the 70'ies or 80'ies. But I guess that the owner was an old guy who knew how to do it right.
      It is because of my father that I have been able to get my hands on all those nice Swedish tools. He and my mother have got a small cottage in Sweden, and he likes to go to flea markets etc. during the summer.
      In Denmark quality tools aren't nearly as abundant as in Sweden, so I am glad that I have the opportunity to get some directly from the source (Sweden).
      I'll tell my dad that you like the tool box. That'll make him proud.
      Have a nice day.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  5. I like how the handle and rivets turned out. The saw has that nice look of a well worn tool that is still ready to go at a moments notice.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill.
      Glad you like it.
      I am kind of glad that it is fairly coarse in the toothing. I just need to get going on a real woodworking project where I can use it.
      I have just started sawing lumber for the porch that I once promised my wife to make. That takes some time, but it is the only exercise I get, so it serves more purposes :-)
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete