After sawing them all off, I sanded the surface flush.
I measured out for the two holes for mounting the shelf and bored those too.
That was all the work that was required today.
For me the biggest obstacle isn't to build the stuff. It is to take a decent picture of it.
At home I would have hung the shelf on a door or some other wood clad surface, and I could have taken some pictures of it.
But out here I don't want to make any holes for temporary mounting of my shelf. I tried to make use some tape, but that didn't work well either.
In the end I tried to make a cyclic wall (I think that is the name) using a floor mat and taping the top if it to the wall.
I had to balance the shelf to get it to stand by itself, so the hooks are not hanging quite as they will when the shelf is really mounted.
The completed shelf.
View from the other side
Details of mouldings.
Shelf lying on the back, note the position of the hooks (Thanks gravity..)