Monday, September 25, 2017

Making an infill plane from scratch 4, dovetails.

Making the dovetails is pretty much sone the same way in steel as it is in wood.
The only difference is that you use a file instead of a chisel to remove the waste. I used a drill to remove the bulk of it, just like some people do in wood.

After cleaning up all the pins on the sole, I wanted to clean up the mouth a bit too.
This was where I discovered my first mistake: When I had drilled the series of holes for the mouth, I had used a 5 mm drill (9/32"). The small file was just able to go through that opening, but it was not great for flattening or removing a lot of material. If I had only measured the regular files first, I would have used a slightly larger drill.
I managed to rout out the mouth using a 5.5 mm drill (something larger than 9/32" but not 1/4" - this is where my limit of the imperial system seems to be).
At last I was able to clean up the mouth with a regular file, and I did only that. It has not been shaped yet.

Since I made the sole first, I did the "pins first" this time. transferring them to the tail boards was done just like any other set of dovetails. I clamped a batten on the tail board to rest the pin board against while I marked the tails.

More drilling, sawing and filing..

I completed the tails on one side of the plane, and I pressed them a bit of the way. They are tight, so I might have to ease up the corners a bit more before the final assembly.

Dovetails of the infill plane


The logo of the chipbreaker.

10 comments:

  1. I am amazed at how well the metaL, got cleaned up with vinegar...
    That logo sure pop by now.
    Interesting build you got there

    Bob, scratching Rudy ears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob.

      I was amazed too, I never expected it to work that well.
      The good thing is that now I know that there are no hidden pockets of rust underneath it.
      The E.A. Berg logo is spectacular :-)

      Brgds
      Jonas (sadly long way from Berthas ears..)

      Delete
  2. Looking great so far! And how can you not love that logo? Sadly, cool logos like that are something that a lot of modern planes, despite their quality, are missing. I wish the makers would go back to that idea.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill.
      Thanks.
      I agree that a lot of modern logos are dull compared to those of yesteryear. But I guess it is because they have to be easily recognizable in an instant. So little details don't stand much of a chance anymore.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, I am a bit proud of it actually.
      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete
  4. You are really making quick progress; though I guess I shouldn't be surprised given your remote shop is probably better suited for metalworking than your normal work. I also have been surprised how effective vinegar is at removing rust, I wish I'd known that 20 years ago...

    (Also I think your smartphone photos seem to be a photographic improvement)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy
      Thanks.
      I wish that I had known about vinegar long time ago too. It really is easy to use, easy to come by and fairly safe.

      The shop really is more suited for metal work, not that it has been very complicated so far.

      I am afraid that you are correct about the smartphone photographic development, it will be hard for me to maintain the position as the woodworking blog with the crappiest pictures in the future.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  5. Another project for the when I#m old and have the time list. Very cool!

    Cheers
    Pedder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pedder.
      Thank you.
      I hope to be able to make a handle that is just 5% as good looking as your handles for the saws.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete