Monday, July 13, 2020

Chimney cupboard for a friend

One of my old friends has started a guesthouse at his place where people sleep in old circus wagons.

The wagons are actual old circus wagons that have been stripped and rebuilt. Kind of like a tiny house.

I visited him while he was working on a wagon and one of his challenges was that he didn't want the inside to simply look like a caravan or an Ikea catalogue. 
Some stuff he does get from Ikea such as beds etc. but he would like to add something that was purposely built for that place. 
So we agreed that I should make a chimney cupboard for the bedroom of the wagon.

I couldn't make it quite as tall as normally, since the rounded ceiling started a little less than 6' up from the floor. 
It also had to fit in a corner, so I had to keep that in mind when making the top and the base.

The tractor driving the saw mill suffered from a damaged priming pump form about 7 months ago, and though I have bought the spare parts, I haven't taken the time to actually fix it yet. So instead of using some home milled larch, I bought some wood at the lumber yard. It is nice to be reminded once in a while how expensive that is, just so I am able to appreciate my own home milled lumber a bit more. 
The boards for the case itself were of a worse quality than I had expected, I had tried to be picky when choosing the wood, but it was filled with knots and I was a bit disappointed about it. 
For the back panel I had chosen some T&G roofing boards. And they on the other hand were of an amazing quality! Not a single knot in any of the boards, and clear straight grain. It was roughly the same price, so I guess I should have used that for the rest of the case as well, But I know that for next time.

I am leaning on the plans from Bob Rozaiesky from Popular Woodworking, and though it can be made as a full hand tool build, I use some machines like a thickness planer to speed up the process a bit.

Again I must conclude that it is a really nice project. The finished cabinet has an appealing look and despite its small footprint there is a lot of useful storage inside. 


Solid wood construction

Both doors can open up!

Five shelves inside.

Newf and gambrel stamp.

14 comments:

  1. Hi jonas! good to see you woodworking! Fine work as usual.i like the bertha stamp.
    Cheers from latvija
    Pedder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pedder

      Thanks for the nice comment :-)
      I hope you have a nice vacation in Latvia :-)

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. I think the tiny guest houses made from circus wagons sounds like a great project. Nice work on the cabinet. Glad to see you back at the blog. Love the stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeremy

    Glad to be back again :-)
    Especially with such warm and welcoming comments :-)

    I am just glad that I got the chance to build another chimney cupboard. I actually think that I am going to build yet another one for the small barn at the summer house.
    The stamp is actually my ex libris stamp, but I wanted to brag a little about the build, and I figured that adding my name and stamp would be a fine way to do that. I just added a piece of tape over the part of the stamp where it says "ex libris" and that worked just fine.
    There is also the obligatory Roman numerals on top of the cupboard, but they are hard to see in the pictures.

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ikea furniture would not do. If one choose to sleep in a wagon, one expect something else than a standard hotel bedroom.

    Nice cupboard with character.

    I guess on board a ship, nothing is straight and built in must be a challenge.
    interesting measuring trick for curved walls:
    https://www.lumberjocks.com/GnarlyErik/blog/33417
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvain

      That was also kind of the same thing that my friend said.
      I actually made 4 cabinet doors extra of the same design as on the chimney cupboard, that he was going to use for some built in cabinets in the wagon.

      I ended up getting some regular experience in making raised panel doors :-)

      Olav gave me a set of those tickle sticks some time ago, but I haven't had to use them yet.

      Out here especially the doors are interesting to watch, most of the are grotesquely out of angle, but you only notice it when they are opened. When they are closed it just looks nice because they seem to be flush with the deck above and the deck below.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  5. Good to hear from you again, we all missed you. Great looking cabinet and love that stamp. Very fitting my friend.

    Bob, still cataloging tools :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob

      Thanks for the very kind comment. I don't really know why I just sort of stopped. But it is good to be back again :-)

      I hope you still find time to give Rudy a treat ot two in between the cataloging jobs ;-)

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  6. Nicely done, Jonas. The chimney cupboard is an interesting cabinet. It has been a while since I read your stuff. Hope all is well.

    Matt McGrane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt

      Thanks for the nice comment.
      All is well over here, I just sort of stopped blogging for no apparent reason.
      But I can feel that it is nice to be back at it again :-)

      I can highly recommend building a chimney cupboard. As far as I remember from the Popular Woodworking article, Bob Rozaiesky built it for his workshop, on account of the very small footprint yet large storage space.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  7. I'm a bit late to the party but I'm glad to see that you are back into production mode. Well done as usual, sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mitchell

      Sorry for the late reply.
      Thank you for your kind comment. It feels good to be back doing a bit of woodwork and blogging again.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  8. I love this cabinet. How did you do the raised panels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian

      I used the table saw. It is a bit faster than using planes I think, so that method trumped.

      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete