Saturday, July 11, 2020

A year suddenly went by.

A couple of years ago I wrote a blog entry about the sudden disappearance of blogs.
I guess that mine is pretty close to fall into that category by now.

What is interesting to see (for me at least) is that my blogging is so closely connected to my job.
Back when I was employed in the offshore supply industry, I had a decent Internet connection, long uneventful night watches that allowed me to do stuff in the workshop and there was very little social interaction on board the ship save for meal times.

When I started on Statsraad Lehmkuhl, it became clear how different a job place this really is.
The Internet connection is crappy when we are sailing. 
There are no night watches. And there is an incredible social life on this vessel. 
So instead of having to sort of occupy my own mind I suddenly found myself in a group of people where playing either board games cards in the evening was the norm. 
A supply boat can often feel like a ghost ship, people will gather for the meals, and after 15 minutes people will wander off to their own cabins and watch TV or computer by themselves.
Out here that isn't really an option. There is a TV in the aft mess room and a projector in the fore mess room.
No TV signals while at sea, but it is possible to watch a DVD. This isn't done very often though, since most people will gather in the aft mess and have a cup of tea/coffee, and play cards or sit and read a book or just talk to one another.

So I found that I didn't have the urge to build something on board anymore.
And I have generally always had a hard time pulling myself together to blog while at home. One week took the next and those weeks became months etc.

Now I'll have to see of I can make good of my intentions to blog from home once in a while.
It will probably be a difficult starting time when I go home in 10 days, since it is high summer and holiday season etc.

But lets see how it goes.

8 comments:

  1. Nice to hear you are doing well and enjoying a richer social life.
    No personal project, but do you do any woodworking while maintaining this ship.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvain,
      Thanks for the nice comment.
      I actually don't do any woodworking maintenance on the ship since we have a carpenter employed on board. He is taking care of all the woodworking and interior maintenance.
      He is actually a trained guitar builder, so he knows how to apply a proper finish which is needed out here considering the vast amount of varnished wood that we have.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. Hi Jonas
    glad to read a blog post by you again. I'll add your blog back to the active list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ralph

      Thanks for the nice comment. and thanks for getting me back to the active list again.

      I thought about you the other day, since we are doing a world circumnavigation from next summer.
      In January 2022 we are supposed to go to Newport. And I think it must be fairly close to where you live. At least in the same state, so it might still be a long distance. But I hope that I am on board at that time, but the crew change schedule hasn't been made yet.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. Hi Jonas, it's great to hear from you. I miss your posts but more glad for you that all is going well, enjoying life at home and at sea. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff

      Thanks for the nice comment.
      It is a remarkable difference to the social life, when there is no TV set in each cabin, and with no WIFI or phone access on the water.
      Often our guests get a similar experience on our short 5 day trips to and from the Shetland Isles. the first day or so you can see that people find it weird that there is no phone connection, but then they start talking to one another, and that is amazing to see.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  4. Oups, i go away for the weekend and miss your return to the blogosphere. Welcome back :-)

    Bob, catching up reading blogs

    ReplyDelete