Friday, September 2, 2016

Danish Chairbuilding Extravaganza 2.

During my next home period, Brian Eve from Toolerable and me are going to host the 2nd Danish Chairbuilding Extravaganza.

We have invited a couple of more guys, so totally we should end up being 6 persons.
My shop isn't so large that 6 people can fit comfortably inside, so the plan is to move the workbenches into the stable, and then we'll use the workshop as a machine shop, since that happens to be where the machines are already positioned.
Last time I think we only used the band saw and the lathe, so I doubt that we are going to use much more machinery this time any. But the machines, the dust and the noise will be in a separate location which will probably please the horses, since they are going to be in the stable with us.

Before everyone arrives, I am going to empty all the boxes completely and make a new layer of bedding for the horses consisting of saw dust from the saw mill.
I also intend to whitewash all the walls at the same time.
This is actually something that I do every year, but this time it will coincide with using the stable as a workshop, so a bit of fresh lime on the walls and a fresh smell from new sawdust should be nice.

I have to start thinking of what type of chair I am going to try to build this time. So I'd better start drawing some sketches.




9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blast. You guys are really starting a great tradition. I should really attempt to replicate this locally, a great way to strengthen skills and a good hangout time all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have no problems in replicating the event.

      The social part of such an informal event is priceless. For some reason it is easier to start on a "difficult" project like this when there are other people there to support you.
      We really had a lot of help from the "Chairmakers notebook" two years ago, but I guess that there might be some other books out there that could also serve as a help.
      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete
    2. The chair maker notebook certainly would be the place to start from.
      Its really fortunate for Brian that this will coincide with his June chair build ;)

      Delete
    3. Yes, he has planned that June build really well :-)

      Delete
  2. I realy realy look forward to this!

    Cheers
    Pedder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Bob.

      I think the next build might first be in 2018, but I can't say for sure.
      The biggest problem now with more participants is that we have reached the limit for how many beds we have left in the house. So you would have to sleep on a couch in the living room.
      But if that doesn't scare you, you are most welcome to participate.
      You can write to me on: bloksav insert-the-funny-sign-here gmail.com

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete