I flattened the glued up panels and ripped them to the correct height. Then I crosscut them to the correct length and planed them all at once to make sure they all got the same height.
Once that was done I use my shooting board to square up the ends.
I like to use the "rabbet on the tailboard trick" when I dovetail, because it helps to get a nice appearance on the inside of the joint.
After making the shallow rabbet, I used the remaining thickness as a guide for the marking gauge and marked out the length of the pins on the pin boards.
The pins were laid out using a divider, and I marked the angle using a small cardboard template. the slope is 1:6.
I clamped the pin board to my 5x5 work holding stick, and started sawing.
When I was done with the sawing and getting ready to chop out the waste between the pins, I noticed that the end boards had become rather dirty. Apparently someone has used the 5x5 for something that involved a mix of soot and grease.
The dirty spots are on the inside of the boards, so I hope that I will be able to remove them by sanding.
I might have to try to dress the 5x5 using my plane, to remove the dirty parts. That will be easier and better than messing up the rest of the build.
One of the pins were placed exactly on a knot. That meant that half the pin fell out as soon as I had sawed the sides of it. The good thing is that this is one of the lower pins, so I'll just make sure to make the skirt high enough to cover the inevitable hole resulting from half the pin missing.
Flattening an end board.
Planing all parts to the same height.
My shooting board set up.
Sawing out the pins. Notice the dirt on the 5x5.