Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I have a hardware problem

I have read once in a while, how some people think they  have a sharpening problem. Not that they are not good at sharpening, but they tend to do it so much that they sort of become obsessed about it.

Well, I am afraid that I have the same problem regarding hardware or more precisely hardware catalogues.

The small barn I am building will require some windows and also a door. Not surprisingly I intend to make those myself. A thing I will not make myself are the hinges and the locks etc. I won't be making the glass either by the way.

We happen to have two hardware manufacturers in Denmark that I know of. They both produce pretty much the same stuff, but one of them seems to have a bit broader selection. It is also the one that is closest to my home, just around 50 miles (80 km).
A/S J.Petersens Beslagfabrik
It is a factory that is run by the third generation of founders family.

They have a catalogue, and I just can't stop flipping through it, amazed at the different types of speciality brackets and hinges that are available. (The full catalogue doesn't show up in the English version of the home page, but there are some parts of it that does.)

My problem is that I end up not looking for hardware for a project, but often instead dreaming of projects for a piece of hardware.

I have purchased some of their hinges once in a while, and they are of a solid quality. So far my favourite item is the "lemmehank" which I used as handles for my Roy Underhill joiners toolchest.

 I try to avoid their homepage as much as I can because I end up spending way too much time dreaming.
This time what got me started was a thought about maybe building a rocking chair for the DCBE. Rockers can sometime mar the floor, but luckily IPA brackets have a solution for that.
The rocker spring.

The idea is that instead of rocking directly on the floor, you make a level platform and attach a rocking chair on top of it. The rockers can be fairly short, like 20".
A set of these brackets is mounted inside at the lower part of the rockers, and will keep everything in place.

We have a rocking chair at home like that, so I'll try to get Gustav to take a picture of it so I can show the principle.

One day I think I'll make a rocker just for the sake of supporting the continuous production of this fairly obsolete piece of hardware.

Does anyone have a similar hardware problem?

5 comments:

  1. How many rocker springs are required for the chair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He told me two, but I think it would be funner with one. Who knows what could happen? 😉

      Delete
    2. Hi Ralph

      Brian is correct in that 2 are required.
      I'll try to get Gustav to take a picture of our rocker with that system.
      A bunch of those seem to have been made during the later 40-ies or the 50'ies.
      They are interesting but actually not very pretty in my eyes.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
    3. Wouldn't the number of springs be dependent upon the size of the "derrière" that is going to inhabit the chair? :) :) :)

      Brian is right, one would make for an amusing, if not particularly functional, chair.

      Jonathan

      Delete
    4. I suppose that if you made a third rocker to go in the middle - between the two usual rockers, you could just apply one spring. It would most likely make moving it a bit easier, but I'm afraid that it wouldn't stay on its own pedestal. But that could create some funny situations too.
      I'll try to push my son to get those pictures taken so I can show the principle in those rockers. :-)
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete