Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Danish rocking chair with rocker bracket.

Our oldest son Gustav took some pictures of our rocking chair, and sent me the pictures. That helps a lot in explaining how a rocker using the IPA rocker spring looks.

I don't know who has made the rocker itself, but I know that Mettes grandmother made the upholstery. So I guess that once you could buy those rockers and finish them yourself.
There are a lot of similar old rockers for sale in Denmark, so maybe a company produced them, or you could make one yourself using a set of drawings.
I have seen a little variation in how the legs are attached to the lower platform, but apart from that they all sport a lot of bulbous turnings everywhere.

I would like to make a newer version of this chair, without all those decorative turnings. My chair should also have a curved lower platform, where the platform ant the actual rockers were mirror images of one another. The back should sort of flow from the rockers instead of being planted like it is on the old chairs. The armrests should also be a bit more integral

A fine thing about this idea is that the rocking motion won't mar the floor and the rockers can be kept fairly short, so the chair don't take up that much space.
The chair is comfortable to sit in, so it is just the design I don't completely agree with.

Danish type rocker, matching stool next to the door.


Fancy turnings.

The fabled IPA rocker spring.

Complete under carriage, with 2 springs.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting concept, so I guess if the lower support is also curved then it'll be a longer radius on both halves? I suspect that with a little engineering work, you could use ellipses other non linear shapes to make a smoother rocking experience, (or a bucking bronco ride)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy.
      That's exactly my line of thinking.
      I could see a chair with to opposing parabolic shapes for the base and for the rockers themselves. Then the back should sort of swoop up from the rear of the rockers. The seat could be some veg tan leather.
      Ellipses is another possibility, That way you could use them as arm rests and perhaps make the back piece an elongated ellipse. And the general use of that shape will tie the chair together.

      Delete
  2. I wandered over to McMaster to see if those type of springs are easily sourced. I don't think they are, but I think perhaps a wider runner could be used with an extension spring hidden inside tension retained with a rod in the loops, or perhaps with the use of tension spring anchor studs.
    This is an interesting design, i look forward to seeing where you take it. we have some metal outdoor chairs that are very comfortable that have an integral torsion spring that does similar motion as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea if those springs are widely available. I just found them half by accident once. I honestly didn't think they were still being produced.
      I'm sure that there are other types of springs that can be used in a similar way, perhaps as you suggest it hidden. That would look cool.
      For a renewal of the design, I think laminating wood would be the way to go. It supposedly gives a whole lot of possibilities for making interesting shapes.
      I don't know if I'll try it out for the DCBE, but I'll order a set of those springs from my local lumber yard (they are a dealer for the IPA factory). I got a quotation for a set of springs, and a set is around 28$, but shipping would be 35$. So I need to order a couple of other things as well to spread out the cost of the shipping.
      A problem might be that I have never worked with shaped laminations, so perhaps doing a bit of testing would be a smart move before attempting to make a full size chair.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. Rockler has a pair for $15. Double springs instead of the one shown here. For "platform rockers" in the description.

    http://www.rockler.com/rocker-springs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rockler has a pair for $15. Double springs instead of the one shown here. For "platform rockers" in the description.

    http://www.rockler.com/rocker-springs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert.
      Thanks for the information.
      "Platform rockers" Working in the oil industry that sounds like a bunch of bikers wreaking havoc on an oil rig.

      My problem with Rockler is that the Danish customs will make anything I order from outside Europe very expensive, so I think getting mine locally will still be a bit cheaper in the end. Plus I like to support a local business.

      But on the other hand I think it is great news for anyone from the US wanting to try their hand out in making a platform rocker, because I am pretty sure the Danish springs will get equally more expensive going across the Atlantic to you.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  5. Some interesting comments on the Rockler site.
    It seems those spring must be installed under tension.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense to me, because if they weren't installed under a bit of tension, the chair might feel sloppy.
      Also it could lead to sort of a bump if the rockers got worn or just seated themselves due to seasonal changes.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete