So last night didn't offer any possibilities for woodworking.
But today I have ordered spare parts, and therefore even Gustav acknowledges the fact that we have to wait until they arrive before we can repair the bike. This has given me a chance to get on with the woodworking which I enjoy quite a bit more.
A couple of days ago, I sawed my first board on the mulesaw. I would love to be able to say that it was a success, but it wasn't.
The foundation is not sturdy enough, and the 6x6" stiffeners that I have attached didn't help enough. So I have decided to move on to plan C (Plan B was the stiffeners). Plan C is to fill up the inside of the brick foundation with concrete.
So on the large scale woodworking side, I have been making the foundation ready for this concrete adventure. It will roughly require 0.8 cubic metre to fill it up. Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow.
On the small scale woodworking side, I started a display case for a model steam engine I finished on the previous contract on the ship.
The idea is to make a nice hardwood base, and then I'll see how I manage to make the strips for the glass.
It should help to get the steam engine out of its current domicile (a red plastic cookie box) and take up some space inside the house instead of in the workshop.
The foundation of the crank and pulleys of the mulesaw
Planing the foundation for the steam engine
The rabbets have been made, and a small chip has been reglued
The model steam engine